January 9, 2010

Judging Others

Matthew 7:3-5 says,"3 Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."
Do these verses describe you? I know it describes me. I think of all the "Christian" and "holy" things I do to try and draw closer to God, but shortly after I will completely disregard what I learned. Since I have put my faith in Christ I put myself higher up than non-believers and sometimes other Christians who are not as far along in their relationship with the Lord. I quickly forget that I still have major sins to take care of in my own life, and forget what God has saved me from. I don't acknowledge that where I am in my faith is only because of his grace in my life in the first place. What do I have that is not from God? Nothing. Everything I have obtained has come from him, so why don't I live in light of that. I give in to easily to earthly desires, and do not look at God through a gospel-centered lens. I need to see what Christ has done for me, and accomplished for me by his death and resurrection. I need to see MY sin nailed to the cross, and know that it will remain there forever because God's atoning work is finished. Romans 8:1 declares that "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." So if God doesn't condemn me then why do I? And if he does not condemn other followers of Christ because of Romans 8:1 then who am I to do so. We as followers of Christ need to be more Christ-like, which is forgiving and giving grace to fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. We need to leave the harsh judgement up to the Lord, and point each other to Christ in a loving and patient manor instead of one that is judgemental and condemning.
Let us love our great God and Savior, which should lead us to love our neighbors just the same.

By God's Grace,

Nov

No comments:

Post a Comment